~ 1 tsp olive oil
~ 1 egg (or 3 egg whites)
~ 1 tbsp low-fat milk
~ 1/2 tomato, de-seeded & diced
~ 1/2 yellow capsicum, de-seeded & diced
~ 1 large green chilli, sliced thinly
~ 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
~ 1/4 tsp lemon juice
~ Salt and black pepper to taste
~ 2 slices whitemeal bread
1. Beat the egg and milk together with a fork until slightly foamy.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan, add egg mixture and scramble.
3. Just before egg is done, add yellow capsicum, tomatoes, green chilli and coriander leaves.
4. Remove from heat and season with lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
5. Place 2 slices of bread in a sandwich maker.
6. Top with the scrambled egg and cover with the remaining slice bread.
7. Toast according to instructions for the sandwich maker.
Nutritional Analysis for Salsa Scramble Toast
Energy : 343kcals
Carbohydrate : 46g
Protein : 15g
Dietary Fibre : 4.2g
Total Fat : 11g
Sat. Fat : 2.8g
Calcium : 159mg
1. If you're worried about using the whole egg yolk, you can use three egg whites instead as egg whites don't contain cholesterol.
2. If you want your scrambled egg to be a little bit soft, add a little bit of milk. Choose the low-fat, high calcium milk.
3. Add just a pinch of salt, not too much because salt is the biggest source of sodium in our diet.
4. Use just a little bit of oil since it is a concentrated source of calories. Use unsaturated oil which is good for your heart.
5. Add chopped chillies if you like it spicy.
6. Don't put the corriander leaves in too early as they will wilt and you will lose the flavour.
7. Use whitemeal bread because it's very high in fibre as it contains wheat germs and bran.