2/3 cup butter or shortening
2 cups sugar
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 squares chocolate
2 cups flour
3-½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon mace
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped nutmeats
½ cup milk
- To prepare this Chocolate Nut Cake Recipe, first cream the butter or shortening and one cup of sugar.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining cup of sugar. Combine the two mixtures.
- Have ready the hot mashed potatoes, which should be without lumps, add to them the melted chocolate and combine with the first mixture.
- Mix and sift the dry ingredients and add the nutmeats. Add to the cake mixture, alternating with the milk. Fold in the stiffly beaten whites.
- Bake in a loaf pan in a moderate oven (380 degrees F.). When cool, cover with marshmallow frosting or boiled frosting.
Helpful Hints: This is a large moist cake, which will keep well.