125 g butter
1½ cups castor sugar
4 cups plain flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
½ teaspoon freshly grounded nutmeg
8 tablespoons brandy
2 cups mixture of sultanas, raisins, good quality walnuts and a variety of dried fruits i.e. apricots, pears, figs, plums, peaches, etc (equal parts, all diced)
1. Beat butter and sugar in bowl, add eggs, one by one.
2. Sift all dry ingredients into mixture alternating with the brandy.
3. Mix in equal parts of sultanas, raisins, walnuts and dried fruits.
4. Pour onto greased tin. Bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour approximately.
5. Turn out and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Adopted from “Secret Recipes – ABC TV Online” by Cecilia Young