* 2 large red bell peppers
* Olive oil for coating peppers
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large garlic clove, minced
* 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, minced
* 2 cups half-and-half or soy milk
* 1/4 cup freshly-grated Romano cheese or vegan soy cheese
* 4 tablespoons butter or trans-fat-free margarine
* Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
* One package pasta of choice
1. First, roast the peppers: coat whole peppers with oil, then place under a preheated broiler, turning peppers at least once, until skin has blackened all over. Remove peppers from broiler and place in a paper bag until cooled (this will help to make removing the skins a cinch).
2. Remove skin from peppers, then cut them in half, remove seeds, and dice flesh.
3. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add garlic, basil, and diced peppers. Saute for about 10 minutes, until flavors meld.
4. Transfer pepper mixture to a blender and puree, then return to saucepan and allow to return to a boil. Add half-and-half and cheese, stirring and continuing to cook until cheese has melted. Add butter and allow to melt, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta of choice and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Top with sauce and toss to combine. Serve hot.