You can dispense with the pie plate when you make this gorgeous free-form tart filled with use of one of the season’s liveliest combinations: sweet, juicy strawberries and tart rhubarb.
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 – 4 tablespoons cold water
Dough for one crust
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 cup fresh rhubarb, sliced crosswise in 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup organic sugar or more, to taste
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Make the crust: In a medium bowl, mix flours, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the oil and vinegar, stirring to combine. Add only enough water to moisten the dough evenly. Gather the dough into a ball.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured piece of parchment. Dust dough with flour and roll into a sixteen-inch circle. Transfer paper with dough on it to a baking sheet.
3. In a medium bowl, toss strawberries and rhubarb with sugar, flour, and cornstarch. Place this mixture in the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the outside.
4. Use a spatula to pick up the edges of the dough and fold gently over the filling. (Don’t worry, the crust isn’t supposed to meet in the middle.)
5. Bake 40 – 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.