Portobellos are the perfect size for these dinner-sized stuffed mushrooms. They’re filled with good-for-you broccoli and spinach, while the creamy cheese and buttery breadcrumb topping–as well as the French flavors of thyme, leeks, and shallots.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 leek, white parts only, diced
1 shallot, minced
4 large Portobello mushrooms
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup spinach (fresh or frozen, thawed), chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add leek and shallot and saute, stirring often, until they are softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove mushroom stems from caps and chop stems.
2. Add chopped stems and broccoli to the pan and continue to saute, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes more, until broccoli is crisp-tender but still bright green. Add spinach and saute a few minutes more, until wilted. Add parsley and thyme, stir well to combine, and remove from heat.
3. Place mushroom caps, gill side up, in a lightly-oiled baking pan. Mound sautéed vegetables evenly in caps. Top with crumbled goat cheese.
4. In a small skillet, melt the butter and add breadcrumbs, stirring to coat evenly. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over the tops of the mushrooms.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes, until crumbs are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.